Free Government Phones ACP Closing

Click for more information on ACP closure.

Life Wireless Free Government Phones

Life Wireless offers several plans in accordance with the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Programs (ACP). The plans for eligible low-income households vary by state. Some plans include free smartphones and they all include free wireless service.

Life Wireless

While Lifeline Wireless offers nationwide service, they are only authorized to provide service in certain states. And, within those states, the plan will depend on which programs the household is enrolled in, whether it’s Lifeline only, ACP only, or enrolled in both Lifeline and ACP.

Life Wireless Lifeline/ACP Plans

If you or your household is enrolled in the Lifeline program only, Life Wireless offers the following:

  • 500 Minutes talk time
  • Unlimited Texting
  • 4.5 GB of data
  • Monthly Cost = Free

If your household is enrolled in Affordable Connectivity Program only, the Life Wireless plan is as follows:

  • Unlimited Talk time
  • Unlimited Texting
  • 6 GB of data
  • Monthly Cost: Free

Finally, if your household is enrolled in both the Lifeline an dACP programs, here’s what they offer:

  • Unlimited Talk time
  • Unlimited Texting
  • Unlimited Data
  • Monthly Cost: Free

Please note, the unused data does not roll over to the following month. All plans include Caller ID, Call Waiting, Three-way Calling, Voicemail, no roaming charges, no roaming charges for long-distance calls, and free 911 service.

Life Wireless

Life Wireless States of Operation

As mentioned earlier, Life Wireless operates differently in certain states. Below are the states they operate in and the programs available in each state:

States that offer both Lifeline and ACP plans (Unlimited talk, text, and data) are listed below:

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin)

Therefore, in the above-listed states, you can choose from any of the three plans Life Wireless offers (the most comprehensive is the Lifeline and ACP plan).

The following states are ACP only states. In other words, Life Wireless only offers the ACP Plan. Those states are:

Alaska, Alabama, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Massachusetts, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, South Dakota Virginia, and Wyoming.

Qualifying for Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Programs

To participate in any of the above wireless plans, you must enroll in the Lifeline and/or ACP programs. To qualify for the programs you must participate in at least one of the following government assistance programs:

Participate in at least one of the following government assistant programs:

  • Medicaid
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
  • Supplemental National Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)
  • Tribal Assistance Programs

  • Any of the federal assistance programs listed above
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
  • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
  • California Residents

  • Medicaid/Medi-Cal
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
  • CalFresh, Food Stamps, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)
  • National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKS)
  • Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKS)
  • Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
  • Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)


Have a household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to qualify for Lifeline or 200% of the federal poverty guidelines to qualify for ACP.

If you qualify either by participating in one of the programs or by household income, you must have documented proof of such eligibility.

Applying for Lifeline

After confirming that you meet the criteria, the next thing to do is sign up for Lifeline. To do so submit an application at the National Verifier site. Having the necessary documentation in hand makes the application process easier.

You will need proof of eligibility. Proof can be in the form of an Approval or Benefits Letter from the participating government assistance program. Or, if you qualify based on household income, provide either 3 months of paystubs or even a federal or state tax return.

In addition to showing proof of eligibility, you must provide proof of identity and proof that you are alive. Yes, you read that right, proof that you are alive. Apparently, people have been trying to scam the system, so you need to prove you’re still living.

Proof of Life

To prove your identity, you’ll need a government-issued ID. To prove you’re alive, you’ll need a document that shows your first and last name and shows activity within the past three months. Items such as a current utility bill, unemployment statement of benefits or lease agreement. Make sure the documents are current. Old documents will not be accepted.

Get Approved and Sign up at Life Wireless

After your Lifeline application is approved (it's usually approved immediately if everything is in order), you’re ready to sign up to receive your free smartphone and service with Life Wireless.

Once you’ve completed your Life Wireless application, you can always check the status of your application here


  • Only one Lifeline/ACP benefit per household

  • Once you activate your service, it must be used at least once every 30 days or your service may be terminated.

  • If you change your address, you must notify Life Wireless within 30 days.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: This site was created to help people find information about free government phones. The ower of this site does not mail, activate or repair free government phones nor provide phone service. If you have questions about phone service it is suggested that you contact the phone service provider directly.

Last Modified: 17 January 2023

Home | Privacy Policy | About | Site Map
© 2024