StandUP Wireless is another company offering free government cell phones with free talk time. As of this writing, February 2018, Stand Up Wireless operates in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
As part of the Federal Lifeline/Link-Up program, StandUP Wireless offers 500 anytime minutes along with unlimited text messaging and 1 GB of data. If you don’t use your allotted talk time, it is not rolled over for use the following month. The airtime is added every month within two. Usually within two days of your monthly activation anniversary. For example, if you activated your phone on the 3rd of the month, your airtime will be added by no later than the 5th of the following month.
Purchasing Additional Airtime
If you use up your 500 anytime minutes before the month is up, you can purchase additional units. The cost for additional airtime is 5 cents per minute. Below are the four ways in which you can purchase additional talk time:
- Call Stand Up Wireless at 1-800-544-4411
- Add units from your phone by dialing 611
- Visit the Stand Up Wireless website, or
- Purchase talk minutes from one of the retail partners.
StandUp Wireless Eligibility Requirements
The eligibility requirements may vary slightly by state. However, in general, if you participate in one of the following government assistance programs you can sign up for Stand Up’s service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- At or below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- 150% or below Federal Poverty Guidelines in California and Michigan
- California and Michigan may have additional programs that make you eligible.
Applying for StandUp Wireless
To apply and go to the website and click “APPLY” or you can call them at the 800 number mentioned earlier in this article. Before starting the application process, however, make sure you have proof of eligibility handy. It makes the process of completing the application go quicker.
Managing your Stand Up Wireless Account
Stand UP Wireless makes it easy to check airtime balance, add airtime, change plan or download phone manuals. Just visit their website, and go to the Manage page. It’s as simple as inserting your mobile number and clicking the “Submit” button.
Things to be aware of:
- You must recertify annually to continue your participation in Stand UP Wireless’ Lifeline program. You can either recertify by calling their hotline 1-888-966-9093 or download the recertification form.
- Stand Up Wireless cannot port your current cell phone number to their service. In other words, you must accept their phone and use the new phone number assigned to you.
- Calling territory is nationwide (not international)
- Standup wireless also has a referral program. For every person you refer to their program, you get 100 free airtime minutes.
- Only one Lifeline Phone per economic unit
- Your Lifeline phone is not transferable.
Note: If your state isn’t included in the StandUp’s service area, check back later as they’re adding new states all the time. If you need service now, take a look at SafeLink Wireless as they offer service in a wider range of states.