TerraCom Wireless is another player in the free wireless phone arena. They participate in the government Lifeline program and offer free cell phones along with at least 500 minutes of free talk time to qualified individuals. Currently (as of February 2018), they provide free cell phone service in the following states:
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
If your state isn’t listed, please check their website. TerraCom constantly updates its eligible states listing.
TerraCom Wireless Lifeline Plan Options
The states of Oklahoma, Washington, Kansas and Nebraska offer plans ranging from 920 to 1380 voice minutes per month, unlimited texting and 1 GB of data. Check their website for details per state.
For all other states, TerraCom offers 2 plans:
- 750 Minutes of talk time and unlimited texting. Be advised, however, that unused talk minutes are not carried over to the following month.
- 500 Talk minutes per month unlimited texting and a data limit of 1 GB. As with the 750-minute plan, talk time is not carried over to the following month.
TerraCom also offers a Non-Lifeline unlimited talk time plan for $39.99 per month (plus fees and taxes). This plan does not include texting.
Qualifying for TerraCom Wireless Free Cell Phone
According to the Federal Communications Commission, FCC, participating in the following government programs make you eligible for the Lifeline free phone program:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal-specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), Head Start
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit Programs
- Income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
Applying for TerraCom Wireless Service
Apply for service by visiting the TerraCom website and completing the online application. They provide an upload page where you can upload proof of eligibility.
You will not have to pay a fee or sign a contract. Once you are approved, monitor your mailbox for the delivery of your phone.
Stolen or Lost Phones
TerraCom Wireless does not accept responsibility for lost or stolen phones. They do not send free replacements. What they offer instead is a discount on a new phone. As long as you have phone service through Terracom you may purchase a replacement or upgrade at a discounted price.
If you use all of your monthly talk minutes or data, you can always purchase additional airtime and/or data. Using a credit card, you can go to the TerraCom website and click the Voice Topup link to add time. Or, visit a local TerraCom Wireless retailer. Of course, you can always call them at 1-888-716-8800 to add more time.
Things to Consider
- If you already have a cell number and become eligible for the free Lifeline phone, you might be able to keep your existing phone number. Call customer support to see if its possible.
- Every call made or received uses airtime minutes. Additionally, 1 minute is deducted for incoming and/or outgoing text messages. There’s a possibility that unusually long text messages may cost more. Make sure to check your plan details.
- You can always check your airtime balance on your phone by pressing *646* and pressing the talk/send key. Or, if you’re not comfortable with that method, you can call customer service to check your balance.
- TerraCom’s wireless plans do not include international calling.
- Only one Lifeline eligible phone is allowed per economic unit.