Assist Wireless is another provider of free government cell phones. Their monthly service is not free, but the rates are extremely reasonable. Assist Wireless can provide such service as a result of the government Lifeline/Link-Up Program.
Assist Wireless Plans
Although they advertise as providing service in Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri and Oklahoma, their website only lists plans for the state of Oklahoma. I strongly suggest you contact Assist Wireless to find out if the same types of plans are offered in the remaining states.
Each Oklahoma Lifeline plan costs $1.00 per month for tribal lifeline subscribers and $36 per month for non-tribal lifeline subscribers. You can pick and choose from the following plan offerings:
- Unlimited voice & Text with data (100MG of data)
- 1,000 minutes or 1,000 texts
- 1,000 minutes plus 1,000 texts
- 1,000 Minutes
Qualifying for Assist Wireless Free Government Phone
In order to qualify you must currently participate in at least one of the following government assistance programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Federal Housing Assistance Program (FPHA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Food Stamps
- National School Lunch’s Free Lunch Program (NSL)
- Section 8 – Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Social Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary-Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Or, you must have a household income that is 135% at or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines. If you do qualify based on income, be prepared to present one of the following documents as proof of income:
- Current Income Statements from Employer or Paycheck Stubs
- Divorce Decree or Child Support Documents
- Prior year’s State, Federal or Tribal Tax Return
- Retirement/Pension Benefit Statements
- Social Security Benefits Statements
- Unemployment/Workers Compensation Benefits Statements
- Veterans Administration Benefits Statements
How to Apply for an Assist Wireless Free Phone
You have the option of applying online or you can download and print the form and mail or fax it to them. The interesting thing is Assist Wireless states they provide service for residents of Missouri, but they don’t provide a downloadable enrollment application for Missouri residents. If you live in Missouri, please access their online enrollment form. Residents of Arkansas, Maryland and Oklahoma have the option of enrolling online or completing one of the applications found below:
Once the application is completed, mail it to Assist Wireless, LLC 2402 Gravel Drive Fort Worth, Texas 76118 or fax it to 866-229-6433.
After you have completed and submitted your application, be patient. It takes several weeks for it to be processed. If you wish to find out the status of your application, call customer service at 1-855-EZ-ASSIST (1-855-392-7747).
Lost or Stolen Phones
Be advised that if you should lose or damage your Assist Wireless phone, they do not replace it for free. There is a $25 fee to replace lost/damaged phones.